Easton gave us a scare last week. At 10 pm on wednesday night I walked into the kitchen to see Easton with a bottle of perscription drugs up to his mouth, head tipped back, emptying them all into his mouth. I ran over and used my finger to get 4 of them out... not totally sure how many he may have already swallowed. They were perscription cough medicine that Dallon was given last week. Small (bb sized) clear balls of med. They are adult dose since Dallon weighs 100 lbs. One pill is all you take for 12 hours - so they are very powerful. I called poison control and the man on the phone there totally freaked me out. When I told him what it was that had been taken and gave him Easton's age he told me to get off the phone and call 911 immediately and have an ambulance come. I told him I live close and I'll drive him right now. I wanted to ask a few questions and tried and he yelled at me - said that there was no time to talk - and that my child was probably going to have a seizure any minute and I needed an ambulance. It was stressful. I did drive him - and that was crazy - worrying if he is seizing in the back seat where I can't see him. He didn't though. Poison control notified the hospital I guess (that I was coming) because they were ready for me and were taking it seriously. Still totally expecting seizure. It was just me and Easton at hospital. I left Aaron home with boys sleeping. Doctor said those meds are toxic, and that it was so good I brought him in. After being at the hospital for 4 hours we were released. I'm happy to say that there was no seizure the whole time... which means that he didn't take much if any at all. It was a lot of stress and panic - it's the worst when your child takes something like that and you don't know how much they took. Why do my kids like medicine so much??? This isn't my first child to make an emergency trip to the ER with. Years ago, when Dallon was 3... he chewed his way thru the plastic of 4 adult strength cold medicine tablets. He spend 12 hours at the hospital, they gave him charcoal, watched him closely, and it scared us to death then too. We are ok. Easton is just fine. I learned a big lesson about keeping all drugs very high and out of reach... because somehow he got thru the child locked perscription container. I am so glad my baby is ok. I am so thankful I walked into the kitchen at just that moment to witness him downing the rest of the bottle of cough meds... If I hadn't he surely would have had a seizure and things would have been much more scary. I love this little guy and I'm glad he is ok.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Super Scary! You know, it must be mother's instinct that you happen to find him just as he was starting to swallow them! This is one of my nightmares, the other that they will toss each other down the stairs while playing.
Jamie,
Even though you were totally scared, I'm so proud of you being calm during the rush to the hospital. I do agree with putting the meds up higher. It never ceases to amaze me the ingenious ways a child can find his/her way into something when curious.
PaPa Bill
I'm so glad he is alright. It is so scary when they do stuff like that! Michael downed a bottle of infant's tylenol. Same thing! I was scared to death and I couldn't get a hold of Darren. Anyway, it makes you come home and check everything and then give all your boys a hug.
Oh I am so glad little E is ok! You must have been totally freaking out! I would have been balling, you know me. Give him our loves.
Oh my gosh. I freaked out just reading about it. I am so very grateful that he is all right. I just want to run right down there and give him a big hug. You did well driving him down to the hospital. Love you.
So glad to hear everything is ok. McKenna got ahold of my Visine and drank some of it. Unknown to me Visine is like POISON to children. They suggested we don't have any of that around until are kids are out of the house. These little darlings sure can give their Mom and Dad's a good scare here and there. Hope you are doing great and I still LOVE LOVE LOVE all the pictures you take!
Post a Comment