Today is my Grandpa Sullivan's birthday. I've been thinking of him all day long - so I'm posting a couple pictures we took when we went to see him at his home a week ago on our trip to Utah. I love this man so much! I am so happy that my boys could spend the day with him and get to know him better. I wish we didn't live so far away.



This picture is framed in my Grandpa's home. My Grandpa grew up in Roosevelt, Utah and this is a picture of the home that he grew up in. My Grandpa was born in this home and lived there for all his childhood. He was the third child in a family of five children... four boys and one girl. He and all his siblings slept together in the attic of this home. He said that the roof was a lot like it looks in this picture. They could see light coming through the holes in the roof. But somehow it didn't leak when it rained. They could hear the farm animals just like they were sleeping outside. The main floor of the home was one room. It was the living room and his parents bedroom all in one. Since his parents didn't have their own room his mom mastered the art of getting completely clothed under her nightgown. When Grandpa was in high school his parents built onto the back of the home a bedroom. The kitchen was a lean to on the back of the home. There was no running water, and they used the toilet outside. Their means of transportation was by horse. All the stores in Roosevelt had hitching posts out front for their horses and the streets were dirt. They were real pioneers. It was 1943 before his parents had a car to drive. Later on, his parents built a new home and this cabin was moved behind it. When Grandpa and Grandma were newly married they fixed it up and lived there for their first few years.
7 comments:
What a wonderful story and tribute to your grandfather. Keep up the good work.
jaimie i love that you did this! I'm not kiddding, that was an awesome idea. I took grandpa over a gift yesterday and he told me he was going out to lunch with mom and aunt joan. I think he was very excited! He is such a neat man.
WOW! I hope he is writing his life history. That's such a fun story.
My Dad is almost as old as your Grandpa.. How funny is that! I don't even know if my Dad's home from a child is still around. It was somewhere in Texas.
Cute post and what a cute Grandpa!
OH and I love Dallon's hair!
Just like "Little House on the Prairie." I could listen to his stories all day.
GOOD JOB JAIMIE!! That is sooo cool that you learned that story about Grandpa! He is such a cool guy... I just love him! I'm so glad you guys got to come out to visit! It was fun to get to see you again :)
Jaim, it was so good to see you guys! I love the pictures of the boys, they turned out really cute. Where are Jenna's wedding pictures? Love ya!
Jaimie, I'm dying for you to get a new post. What's up? You've got to have more pictures of your vacation? I'll be watching to see when you post something because I'm looking forward to it.
Post a Comment